Welcome!

This blog is no longer active, come over to www.quiltingbuttercup.com for more.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Beach inspired bathroom caddy

This bathroom caddy is made with a thicker and rather rigid batting. Given that my bathroom has beige tiles I chose this beach inspired beige linen fabric.


First I cut the basic shape from my front fabric, rigid batting and backing. Then I cut the pockets, two strips for the upper and two strips for the lower pockets, that are just as wide as the batting and as high as I wanted the pockets to be. Additionally you will need strips for binding.



I joined the front and lining of the pockets placing the pieces right side to right side and sewing only the top seam.


 For the upper pockets I ironed a double hem towards the inside of the pocket


 Then I laid all layers out as follows:

Backing fabric, wrong side up
Batting
Front fabric, right side up

and I placed the pocket strips on the background, clipping everything in place.


All open edges of the lower pockets will go into the binding, while the lower edge of the upper pocket will have to be attached before. I placed the strip with the hem towards the inside in position and attached it with a simple straight stitch.


Then I made the seams dividing the upper and lower strips into pockets.


For the binding prepare a long enough strip and pin/clip it in place all around the caddy. For more information on how to bind a quilt have a look at this tutorial.
Cut another two short strips of 5x2 inches. Iron the seamallowance on both long sides toward the inside, fold in half right side outside and sew together.


Fold the two strips in half and place them underneath the binding close to the top corners of the caddy as shown below.


Attach the binding and, at the same time, the loops. Given that I used the heavy batting and fabric, I used a heavy duty jeans needle.

With the rather rigid batting, I wasn't able to finish the binding as shown in my binding tutorial. Therefore I did this:

I cut the two ends so that they overlap for perhaps 2 inches.


I placed one end along the edge of the caddy while I turn over the edge as shown below on the second end.

Then I folded the second end (with the folded corner) around the edge of the caddy achieving the effect shown below.



I turned the binding over to wrap around the outer edge of the caddy and the other end of the binding.


Last, I finished the binding by sewing it in place.



And here's the finished cadd:



Have you made a project following this tutorial? Let me know what you think. Did you like it? Was it easy to understand and to follow? Do you have any suggestions?
Write a comment or send me an mail using the contact form at the bottom of the page.






No comments:

Post a Comment