Welcome!

This blog is no longer active, come over to www.quiltingbuttercup.com for more.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sewing case makeover

I received this sewing case for christmas. Unfortunately it wasn't very nice to look at and so I put it aside for the time being while figuring out what to do with it.
I finally settled on giving it a spray varnish finishing, but I wanted something cute, not just a simple colour and so I went for red hearts on an ivory background.




This is what I did:

I started out with this very plain sewing case.



It had the remains of a nondescript finishing.


I cleaned the case and treated it with glasspaper before spraying it red.



Then I cut heart shapes of different sizes from adhesive plastic foil and stuck them so they covered red areas.


Then I sprayed the whole case with ivory varnish and left it to dry.


When the first layer of varnish was dry I opened the case and sprayed parts of the inside as well as the open sides of the cases where the joints moved out of position.


The next morning, with the finishing perfectly dry, I removed the adhesives and so now on the outside the case has red hearts on an ivory background


while on the inside it's simple ivory, and on the lower levels, wood.


What a difference...



Have you made a project following this tutorial? Let me know what you think. Did you like it? Was it easy to understand and to follow? Do you have any suggestions?
Write a comment or send me an mail using the contact form at the bottom of the page.



-->

No comments:

Post a Comment